Thread: S&W 460 XVR
View Single Post
Old March 16, 2019, 02:21 PM   #17
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by disseminator View Post
That hasn't been my experience at all. Mine likes a 300g (Speer 3974) bullet the best. I have shot up to and including 400g hard cast bullets over maximum charges of w296 and it's just as accurate as with the lighter bullets. The 325 Swift A-Frame is a dandy too.

As with any handgun, different bullet weights will shoot to different points of aim due to barrel travel time.
I don't think ruggyh is saying heavier bullets aren't as accurate as the 200gr, I think he's just sayin' they don't shoot as flat and thus S&W's claim that sighting in @200 yards will make for a "dead on" hold from 50-250, not applicable.

I too like the Speer Deeps Curl 300 grainers. POI from the same POA @ 50 yards difference with them, as opposed to the 200 gr factories, iffin I remember correctly, is about 12". I sure this is mostly from barrel dwell and recoil.

While the 200 grainers are easy to shoot and accurate as heck, they didn't perform well terminally on deer size game for me......especially at close range.

The .460 is unlike any of my other revolvers when it comes to shooting it. One can be well experienced shooting magnum revolvers and not have a clue about what to expect from the .460......until you actually pull the trigger. The concussion from the muzzle blast alone can be like a getting a shot of adrenaline. Not only does the shooter need good ear protection, but so does everyone else in the immediate area. Even when hunting, good ear protection is a must. Shoot a .460 inside a box blind without ear protection and odds are, you will never hear the same again. I use a quality electronic muff when I hunt with my .460 and have gotten so I use the same with the .44s and .357s.

Page generated in 0.02518 seconds with 8 queries