View Single Post
Old March 14, 2019, 11:49 PM   #47
kilotanker22

I agree that light conditions may have been the issue. I once had a prochrono that would read way high velocities when the sun wasn't straight over head or close to it. Recently I purchased a Magnetospeed. And that issue has seemed to disappear. Even with the Magnetospeed though. The bullet path needs to be withing certain parameters to read correctly. The nice thing about it though. Is that if you get an error. It will read out an error number and basically tell you the problem.

I also recently switched to the Satterlee ladder test method to try. Except I do it a bit different. Instead of starting 1.5 grains below your max load. I start 2.5-3.0 grains below and increase in .2 grain incriments. I don't always start at the higher end. Especially with a rifle and powder I don't know. I usually pick a bullet I want to use. Then target my ladder test in the general velocity range I want to be. With a powder that's available to me. Then load somewhere amidst a flat sport in the velocity curve I see. Then I load some to test for avg velocity, SD and how they group. With the last load development I ended up almost 100 fps above max listed velocity in the manual, yet I was over a grain below their max velocity with that bullet and powder. I also had no signs of pressure. Same thing with a lighter bullet.

I have developed several good loads using this method so far. And all of them took less than 40 shots fired total for each load development. It definitely works when executed properly. To keep track of what rounds are what as far as charge weight. I use a sharpie and write every charge on the case in which it is charged. Easy since I only start with 1 shot of each charge. Then I fire them in order recording the velocities. I do not get the rifle too hot. Nor do I allow the round to remain in the chamber for more than a few seconds before I fire it.

But I don't load to find my max load normally. As I said earlier. I pick a bullet and target velocity and powder. See where it takes me. Everyone likes super accurate rifles, but if I can shoot 1MOA, meet or exceed my targeted velocity and have 10fps or less SD I am happy. If I can make it happen firing the fewest number of shots possible is even better. Less load work up, more practice.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine

Page generated in 0.04103 seconds with 8 queries