View Single Post
Old February 4, 2019, 01:59 AM   #1
Kaliburz

The Black Powder bug has bit me....

Well, I have not been online here in a long time. It ended up being that way, life & little time... I was amazed that my info said I registered back in 2000 or 2001... wow... and less then 125 post to boot.

Any how, as the tittle says, the black powder bug has bit me... again. I had an old kit muzzle loader (45 cal) given to me while back, got it working, but not 100% "finished". It got parked into a corner... may have to go revisit it...sometime.

Any how, the B&C bug hit... ran accross a Ruger Old Army at a shop I frequent. It came home with me. Have yet to shoot it. I think my BP powder is old (forgot what it was, if it is true BP or other... friend gave it to me when we worked on that 45 cal BP rifle).

And just recently, found an Umberti 1858 BP carbine on Gunbroker... didn't look like it was fired in a while. LOL, had to use a hardwood dowel to pound the cylinder pin T to get it out. The pin was dragging on the barrel. Online research said that sometimes the "flat" on them is not flat enough & bind. This was rubbing right at the T part & underside of the barrel where the T sits. Hate to say it, but the backyard gunsmith took effect... medium & fine grit emery cloth, & 30 min later, said pin was removable by light hand pressure. And I used a flat steel plate with emery cloth. Not by hand...I layed the emery cloth on a steel plate & moved the pin to adjust its clearance. I was surprised that the flat part of said pin was NOT blues when I removed it.

Have yet to shoot it. Barrel looks dusty, so will clean it first. I noticed that Kirst has their 1858 Remington Pale Rider cylinder on sale. Granted, $400 is pricey just to shoot 45 ACP or 45 Colt... but it ia 2 cylinders & the cover....

Page generated in 0.02182 seconds with 8 queries