View Single Post
Old January 22, 2019, 09:30 PM   #8
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Is it important to keep the velocity of both of these under 1000 fps?
Howdy

I have said this a bazillion times, but I will say it again.

Excess velocity does not blow up firearms, excess pressure blows them up.

Setting a speed limit of X fps does not address the question of how much pressure is a specific load generating. Different bullets and different powder charges can easily have widely different pressures while achieving the same velocity.

End of standard lecture.

The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) Max pressure for standard 45 Colt loads is 14,000 psi. Italian revolvers, which is what I am assuming your Taylors is, are all proofed in government proof houses to standards slightly hotter than SAAMI standards. So your Taylors revolver should be able to accept any standard ammunition that does not exceed SAAMI Max pressure.

The rub is, no standard ammunition manufactured in this country publicizes what pressure it develops. One has to accept that it will be under the SAAMI Max pressure standard.

Likewise, very few reloading manuals specify what pressure their recipes generate. The only one in my collection that lists pressure is Richard Lee, and for 45 Colt he lists CUP (Copper Units of Pressure) rather than PSI.

However, most responsible reloading manuals will have tested their recipes in pressure barrels and will list Maximum loads that do not exceed SAAM Max pressure.

Quote:
The old Lyman manual's "factory duplication load" was 7.5gr Unique for a 250gr bullet. You might find you don't need to go anywhere else...
These days I mostly load 45 Colt with Black Powder. But 7.5 grains of Unique under a 250 grain lead Round Nosed Flat Point bullet was my normal standard 45 Colt Smokeless load. My reloading notebook says it achieved about 800 fps out of a 7 1/2" Ruger Vaquero barrel. I have no idea what a good load would be for 45 caliber Hornady 250gr XTP bullets.

I do suggest you buy a decent reloading manual and do a little bit of research for yourself.

Page generated in 0.02036 seconds with 8 queries