View Single Post
Old November 12, 2018, 11:07 PM   #40
HiBC

There certainly has been a population of black powder enthusiasts since BP was the only technology.
Some of them have been fur trade buckskinners. This was going on before the movie "Jeremiah Johnson"
The movie greatly popularized shooting BP,with an emphasis on the fur trade.

A lot of the public identify the Hawken with the movie and subsequent offerings from Thompson Center and CVA and others.called "Hawken" Folks took pride and patience in building CVA and TC,and other "Hawken" kits. Those rifles were the doorway into the movie,the fur trade,Rendezvous,etc.

For many people,thats what a "Hawken" is. I give that a split decision. I'm glad all those folks got into BP shooting,building their kit,and enjoying their rifles.
Good for them!! .Last thing in the world I want to do is put down their pride and joy by being a Hawken snob.

But I also appreciate that its quite a stretch to call these popular guns a Hawken.

I worked with an engineer who was in on the Cherry Corners Hawken enterprise.I got a set of blueprints for Mariano Medina's rifle from him. IIRC,a Sharon barrel,too. I worked with a Gentleman out of Cheyenne who had "The Flintlocker" on his business card. His name was Ken. He mentored me through my first few builds.
It was my privilege to have a (late) Gentleman named Michael McCormick open Cache La Poudre Rifleworks open shop in my home town. A great shop,a fine man,and a Friend. He helped build an active Buckskinner group with a range,regular shoots,and a shop where I bought Baird's book,Excellent book.
I met Ron Long at those shoots. Ron Long,along with being a champion shooter,made superb locks and double sets for Hawken rifles.
This shop...was amazing. Pelts,trade beads,trade blankets,patterns for period clothes,books...Siler Locks and kits,L+R locks and triggers,Griffin hook breeches,all the unplated screws,hardware,furniture...You want a Goetz swamped barrel? There might be 4 in the rack!! Curlymaple blanks,horns,...on and on.And,a rendezvous point for smiths,enthusiasts,and shooters.Alongs with a very interesting inventory of guns,including Sharps rifles,cap and balls,and shotguns. He kept fair prices,too.
Mike would Buckskin himself out and show up,with friends to "SkookumDays" at the museum in Library Park,and he would go to schools to pass on interest in fur trade history.
Mike was far more than a shopkeeper.He built a community. RIP.

I still have the Hawken I built as Mike's customer. I value it in ways that are not about money.

I'd agree,there were not a lot of Hawken rifles,and few could afford them.
But I believe many a Mountain Man said "Some day!! That is the rifle to have!".
And gave rise to the story of Hatchet Jack,dead,under a tree,holding a Hawken with a note " This is The rifle that kilt the bear that kilt me"
Sort of like winning the lotto.
Nothing at all wrong with a Leman trade rifle or a Herschel House type Poor Boy.
And I'd agree,many other rifles were carried,served,and served well. The Eastern folks headed west carrying their eastern fine rifles.
I think it was John Bevins wrote a fine rifle building book "The Pennsylvania Rifle" Good book to have if you want to build.

Last edited by HiBC; November 12, 2018 at 11:21 PM.

Page generated in 0.03832 seconds with 8 queries