View Single Post
Old December 8, 2017, 11:15 AM   #12
drbill

I think that the choice of a light weight Weatherby over a MkV depends mostly on ones physical condition and hunting terrain.

If you are weight appropriate,in good physical condition,under age 50 (or 60) and hunt in the US western states a Mk V is not overly heavy. Thousands have used it successfully.

I've used a MkV .257 for Wyoming pronghorns since 1980 and I don’t shoot off the hood of a 4WD but actually crawl a few hundred yards or more to get a decent shot. Those who’ve hunted in the Medicine Bow area know that means a lot of scrub and cactus to crawl through.Crawling through scrub though is not high altitude sheep hunting often on slick shale.

I brought the .257 once to BC for a successful 15 day Stone sheep hunt. Admit that I had Chet Brown make me a custom light weight Kevlar stocked mountain rifle in .270Win for my Dall,Rocky Mtn & Desert sheep.

A now departed hunting buddy used his MkV .257 & .300 exclusivly on sheep hunts including Canada,Alaska,Mexico and Central Asia. We were both in very good physical shape. I preferred carrying a lighter rifle when sheep hunting probably because I was a flatlander from the midwest and my buddy a Denverite better acclimated to high altitude.

Last edited by drbill; December 8, 2017 at 12:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.02557 seconds with 8 queries