View Single Post
Old December 31, 2018, 06:11 AM   #17
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
If reloads are bad for self-defense, then every bullet maker, every powder maker, every primer maker, every case maker and every reloading manual authority would be dragged into court as an accessory for making “deadlier ammo” (whatever that is) compared to that store bought ammo.
No, they wouldn't. If "deadlier ammo" is all you take away from these discussions, you need to read the threads more closely. It's actually a pretty small part of the equation.
Quote:
As for having to test my reloaded ammo, I haven’t bought rifle or handgun ammo to be used in hunting for close to 28 years now. I take pride in using what I reloaded when I’m successful in taking game.
What you use for hunting is irrelevant to SD. Deer are not known to be particularly litigious.
Quote:
As for the factory testifying if you use their ammo. Maybe, just maybe....if you kept the box with the lot number. How many people do that. Want to know about my reloads? It’s on page x of this manual; case, powder, primer, bullet and COL. You can also check my notebook where I keep every recipe for every cartridge I reload. What more do you need to know?
If you kill a human, even in self-defense, you could potentially be charged with murder. Exactly what makes you think that a court must accept evidence literally created by a murder defendant as true?
Quote:
The only difference between the two is that you are paying someone to make ammo (factory) compared to making it yourself.
The difference is that I could be asking the court to accept the records of a neutral third part that really doesn't care if I live or die (the manufacturer) as true, as opposed to accepting my own (reloading) records, when nobody in this world cares more if I live or die than I do.
Quote:
What if I use my black powder revolver? There are no “factory” loads for this. What if I grab my clay bird shotgun......with shells that have been reloaded? Or, I make knives as a hobby and use one in self-defense. I don’t think there is any factory standard for knives.
1. BP -- This would have its own set of problems. You're welcome to start a separate thread for that.
2. Shotgun -- You just said that the shells had been reloaded . . . .
3. Knives -- Do you anticipate the knife being destroyed in the fight?

Page generated in 0.03886 seconds with 8 queries