View Single Post
Old August 10, 2018, 04:36 PM   #31
tahunua001

I do a little of both but for the most part I keep it unique.

I own a number of AR15s, but each one is a different caliber and configuration. depending on whether I am looking to do some cheap plinking at close range I can grab the 9mm carbine, or if I'm after quiet I can get the 223 and attach a supressor. if I am looking to hunt I go for the 6.5 grendel rifle build or if I'm wanting a little of all three I go for the 7.62x39mm carbine build.

for handguns nearly all are 9mm these days but most serve a different purpose. my compact 1911 in 9mm is my everyday carry. my Ruger SR9 compact is the model that I normally use to teach youngsters how to safety handle handguns. I have a pair of Canik TP9s, one SF and one SFX. the SFX does not reliably lock the slide after the last round with anything but the flush fit 18 round mags(which do not ship with the sfx), but the added sight radius and better sight picture are to my liking to the extent that I really can't bring myself to part with either one, both act as open carry pieces when in cougar, wolf, and blackbear country. the 22/45 is a nice, quiet option for grouse hunting and varmints, and if I'm in moose territory the full sized 1911 in non-blasphemous 45ACP is what goes on the hip.

I have a modest collection of early military bolt rifles, some in the same caliber, but all in different configurations/models. I've hunted with a couple of them but for the most part they are for enjoyment and on rare occasions competition.

budget and flexibility are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Ruger's new PC carbine has a variant that accepts standard Ruger SR9 mags. for a reasonably priced rifle (600ish depending) paired with a reasonably priced handgun(400 on a good day), that both shoot the same affordable cartridge(20 cents a round for 9mm these days), and use the same magazines, it's not a bad way to go, so long as you aren't planning on doing anything major like hunting grizzly bears or do 1000 yard shooting.

Page generated in 0.03074 seconds with 8 queries