Thread: 9mm Dilemma
View Single Post
Old July 22, 2018, 09:21 AM   #24
rman43

You guys have presented some well thought out reasons for your choices. Also you didn't slam any of mine and I appreciate that. It is probably not sensible to have all these, basically for range guns, but I've enjoyed shooting every one of them.

I've gone through a lot of phases with handguns over the years. I was a LEO in the 70's and I thought a revolver was the only suitable handgun. I liked the feel of steel and wood. I shot on the PD's pistol team for several years and for that, I used a Series 70 Colt Govt Model that had been re-worked by a local gunsmith for the bullseye matches and a S&W Model 19 for the combat matches. I got really fond of that 1911. About 1990 I lost interest in handgun shooting and spent most of my time at the range shooting rifles and hunting.

In the early 2000's, I got interested in shooting handguns again in a big way. My first venture got me interested in Ruger P-Series guns and I owned several. I soon found that I didn't handle the transition from double action to single action very well. With a lot of practice, I got much better, but still felt that it wasn't the ideal platform for me. I went back to the good ole wood and steel and resumed my love affair with the 1911 - good trigger, natural pointer and chambered for the .45 auto round.

Kansas voted to allow concealed carry in 2007. I decided I needed to find something that would work well for that. I didn't have much money to spend and tried a series of inexpensive polymer pistols. I tried a Kel-Tek 3AT, PF9, P11, Taurus PT111 and a PT145. I wasn't too happy with any of them. I settled on a Para USA OPS 1911. It was an Officer's sized stainless 1911 in .45 auto.

The Para worked out pretty well, but dang it was heavy. My every day carry became a Smith & Wesson 1911SC Series E. The SC had a bob-tailed butt and an aluminum (scandium) frame. Those two worked pretty well for me. I kept looking at the polymer striker-fired guns. As I've gotten older, I find that a lot of guns are difficult for me to rack the slide. The striker guns in general are easier to operate the slide and the 9mm's are even easier because they have lighter recoil springs. I tried several that I just plain didn't like. I have a lot of respect for Glock handguns, but I don't like the grip angle, and I find that they don't point natually for me. I shot several Springfield XD's - nice guns, but I don't shoot them well for some reason.

So the journey goes on. I find that I like all 3 of the guns that are the subject of this piece. I really can't pick a winner. What I have found though, is I'm not a snob about guns like I once was. We live in a time where there are dozens of handguns that are accurate, reliable and fun to shoot. I would hate to only be able to pick one. For those of us that can't afford the latest, greatest new sensation, have no fear. You don't have to spend a fortune to find a good gun that suits your purpose.

Page generated in 0.02958 seconds with 8 queries