View Single Post
Old June 4, 2013, 02:24 PM   #14
BumbleBug

Some great info - Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Guffey
...Then there is the ‘cut the chamber first’, then install the barrel, anyone that is a fan of transfers, standards and verifying can master this technique with a dial caliper/height gages and or depth micrometers....
F.Guffy, thanks for the good info, as best I could understand with my limited experience. I like the way you think, which is understanding the dimensions & relationships & simple arithmetic (i.e. transfers, standards and verifying) & then using measuring tools to get the desired results. Being able to consistently measure properly & accurately is a skill in itself (at least to me & I need more practice).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunplummer
...I think he is trying to warn you about case head support...
To tell you the truth, I didn't consider case head support. On thinking about it, it is obvious that you may have cut a perfectly dimensioned chamber, but due to a number of factors, it is possible that the case wall just above the case web may be unsupported. Bad, bad deal!

Also, if you need BR sort of accuracy, you are not cutting a chamber that needs to be perfect to spec's, but just perfect. By handloading you will be matching your cases exactly to that chamber anyway. The example of making .30-06 cases from .280's illustrates that point. As long as a factory cartridge (if there is one) is safe in the chamber, it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch
I allow for .002"-.003" of crush.
My question stems from something I saw on a YouTube with a 'smithy installing a Stiller action on to a fresh cut target barrel. He "hand" tightened the action onto the barrel while still on the lathe. Then he used his go-gauge to verify that the bolt closed, but with some effort. The amount of "effort" is probably something you learn by experience(?) At this point, he removed barrel from the lathe, put it into a vice then screwed on the action but used a torque wrench to tighten to 100 ft/lb. He then repeated the go, no-go & sized case test & commented that the bolt would now close with the slightest but firm pressure. Scorch, I'm assuming that this is the "crush" fit you are referring to. How do you determine that .002" to .003" measurement before disturbing your lathe set-up? Adding to this, I'd most likely be barreling a Rem 700 with a separate recoil lug (which acts like a giant washer) & would that effect the "crush"?

Thanks again for your help in explaining the minutia.

...bug

Page generated in 0.04784 seconds with 8 queries