View Single Post
Old January 28, 2013, 07:21 PM   #25
steveNChunter

Contrary to what some folks on this forum may tell you, there ARE guns worth having for around $400 dollars. T/C Venture and Stevens 200 would probably be my top two picks, but dont overlook the Ruger American, Remington 783, Marlin x7, and for a little over $400, the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard. The T/C Venture is the cheapest gun I know of to have a sub-MOA guarantee. That puts it number one on my list. The Stevens 200 is right there with it because you can buy it for under $400, then save a little money and drop an Accutrigger or Timney trigger in it, then save a little more and get a better stock for it, and you then have the equivalent of a Savage 110. Its a "pay-as-you-go" 110 for less total investment. I like the Ruger American but the recoil lug is made into the stock, among some other design characteristics that are different from everything else that make it not the best choice if you want something you can upgrade later. Nobody makes much aftermarket stuff for it as far as I know, but that may change. The Remington 783 is new and unproven, but most reviews Ive read on it give it high praise. Personally I believe it is a "new and improved" Marlin X7, seeing as how Remington and Marlin are of the same parent company these days. The X7 is a good rifle but is designed with pressure points in the barrel channel which I do not like, but I suppose some rifles need it. The Howa 1500 is worth the little extra IMO. A barreled action can be bought for about $400 out the door, then figure on $150-$200 for a decent stock (a better one than what comes on most $400 rifles, such as a Bell & Carlson Medalist or Hogue w/ full length bedding block) and you have a nice setup that would cost a good bit more if it were a Weatherby Vanguard (they share the same action). Rifles in the under $400 range to stay away from are the Remington 770, Savage Axis, and the Mossberg ATR isn't that great either. There's my 2 cents for what its worth

Page generated in 0.02474 seconds with 8 queries