View Single Post
Old September 27, 2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV_gunner
I am really starting to hate scopes. They can be a pain. I've deer hunted for 10 years with scopes. Last year I shot a deer at over 400 yards with my Savage 110 .243 rifle. But I can't remember how many I couldn't get a shot on because they were running and the scope just slowed me down. Plus with the rain, fog, and dark scopes can be annoying. This week I went rifle hunting my first time ever without a scope, bear hunted for the first time too. I have to say even though I didn't even see a bear, I absolutely love using sights. Much less of a headache. I'll trade a crazy long distance shot for a few close range shots, fine with me.
I have the exact opposite opinion.

I have hunted with both "open" sights and scopes. Spent a good 10 years hunting deer without a scope.

I can't stand not having optics. Every gun I've ever owned has been scoped (yes, the years I hunted deer with open sights it wasn't my gun).

One year, I tried an unmagnified Red Dot on my shotgun. I'm so used to picking tiny little spots to shoot at that I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on any of a group of doe just 70 or so yards away. That thing went away that night and I went back to a 3-9x

I typically move about with my scopes set on at least 5, sometimes 7 power. I have taken (and hit) shots on running deer as close as 15 or 20 feet with the scope on 5x and never had target acquisition issues.

The only thing I can think with people who have trouble with scopes is that they bring their heads to the gun instead of the gun to their heads. If you're looking at the target and bring the gun to your eye, it will be, by necessity, aimed at the target.

Anyway, in reference to the OP, yes I have hunted with open sights. I can hit with them just fine, I just hate it. Does archery count? I still have "open sights" on my bow!

Page generated in 0.04184 seconds with 8 queries