Thread: less lethal
View Single Post
Old March 29, 2012, 12:10 PM   #33
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy
...It would seem to me that the perverse fantasy is that one can use a deadly weapon against someone without intending to cause that persons death. Compared to that my thoughts are the conservative approach...
Balderdash!

Bartholomew Roberts put it beautifully:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
The law allows you to use deadly force to protect yourself or others in certain limited situations. It is recognized that using this type of force can lead to death or serious injury; but it is allowed legally because sometimes that is the level of force necessary to stop an immediate threat....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
...I'd agree that it is important to understand that using deadly force in self-defense is serious business and that it can disable someone permanently and even kill them. You should not be using it if the stakes aren't that high. However, the problem with your approach is that intending to kill is a different thing than intending to stop. .... While the difference may seem like a small one to some people, it is a critically important one and people who do not grasp it can end up in prison,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy
...I believe it will be clear to any reasonable person that such a person intends to hit the vital part of the target whether it is actually said or not. Obscuring it with words doesn't seem right to me...
One trains to shoot in a self defend encounter for particular parts of a threat, because doing so is the most likely way to quickly stop the threat before he can injury you or a loved one. The mechanics of stopping a lethal threat have been discussed here at length. For example, see this post.

As far as what a reasonable person might think, the fact that you are so insistent that if you had to shoot someone in self defense you would be intending to kill, I'm afraid says something about you and your values that will not be taken well by those who might later have to decide if your use of lethal force was justified.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03610 seconds with 8 queries