View Single Post
Old February 21, 2009, 11:31 AM   #1
stephen426

11 Year Old Charged With Killing Pregnant Woman

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29314843/

This is a very sad situation and is sure to become ammo for the anti-gun crowd. How would you respond to an anti-gun person if they brought up this situation? They will claim the over-abundance of guns and accessability of guns makes these kinds of tragedies POSSIBLE. I know that a determined attacker could easily kill someone with a contact weapon (knife, bat, etc...) but it is not likely for a child to be able to do so to an adult (assuming they are not sleeping or inebriated). I think it would be helpful to have some insight from the other members on this forum as to how to respond to an anti-gunner if these kinds of topics are brought up. If we can bring some kind of logical solution for reducing these kinds of tragedies, we could use them as valid arguements in defending our second ammendment rights.

For me, it would be impossible to argue that arming the pregnant woman would have changed the situation. While she may have been able to shoot the child, I'm not sure how many would be able to do so. Maybe the child suprised her and thought it was a toy gun. We have laws in effect makng illegal for guns to be stored in such a way that children can access them. The anti-gun crowd will point to every incident where a child was involved in a shooting and call those measures useless.

I would also argue that the irresponsible actions of others should not infringe upon my ability to defend myself. I know criminals vertainly won't abide by the laws and they have guns. I guess it usually comes down to the old cliche "If guns were outlawed, only outlaws would have guns" and the right to defend yourself.

I'm sure this incident is going to add fuel to the anti-gun fire.

Here is another incident where 3 teens were killed in Chicago.

Last edited by stephen426; February 21, 2009 at 11:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.02359 seconds with 8 queries