View Single Post
Old July 29, 2006, 10:32 AM   #24
GregR

I first hunted over jagdterriers in Austria. It was amazing to see a pair of the ittle devils bay a 357 pound boar, then back off on command so I could shoot it. Once the pig was down, one went looking for more pigs, but the other would not leave until it was able to take an ear for a souvenir. I love those dogs.

I have a Jack Russell that is an excellent blood trailer, but he is not allowed to hunt hogs. Some heavy-handed discipline as a pup keeps him from chasing them, even if we come up on them in close cover. He will trail wounded hogs, although he is very reluctant to do so and will not get closer than 6 or 8 feet to it when he finds it. I did that on purpose - I could care less if he doesn't find a wounded pig. His job is to find my clients' wounded deer. But in addition to being a valuable dog, he is like another son to me, and I could not stand the idea of something happening to him, which it surely would one day if I let him chase hogs.

I do lots of hog hunting with dogs. In Texas, we use catahoulas to bay them, then send in the pit bulls. Once they catch them, we use a knife to dispatch the hog. It's a ton of fun, but it is hard on the dogs. I would not send any dog you are attached to after a hog.

Page generated in 0.03669 seconds with 8 queries