View Single Post
Old May 24, 2005, 08:30 PM   #1
Harry Bonar

die settings for sizing

Dear Reloaders:
Recently got 9.3X62 die set made by Lyman. However the instructions are like most die sets; dangerous.
In sizing most die manufacturers assume that their dies are made so that if you want to full length resize simply put the ram at its highest point with shell-holder in and screw die down with firm contact with top of shell-holder (all but carbide insert dies) in other words so that the shell holder goes in contact with bottom of sizing die when sizing.
This does several things:
It doesn't take into consideration the depth of the shell-holder. It sizes the case (supposedly) to saami dms.'
What if you have a rifle that just almost closes on a no-go guage?
If you size a case this way you will, even in a properly headspaced rifle, stretch the cae head anbout .004 each shot. After about 4 reloadings you may have incipient case head failure due to the repeated stretching! You will notice you need to trim more often!
I set my die in resizing up from the shell holder about an eighth of a turn and size a case. The case probably will not let the bolt close on it in the rifle with the striker mechanism removed! Then I keep coming down until I can just FEEL the bolt close on the resized case. Then it is full length sized for that particular rifle; each rifle, even of the same caliber will be slightly different!!
This also benefits the weapon in that the case on firing doesn't SLAM the head back into the bolt head and locking lugs causing set-back in a marginally hard reciever.
Harry B.

Page generated in 0.02073 seconds with 8 queries