View Single Post
Old May 30, 2006, 05:48 PM   #12
raktrak

Stoney Point

I always use it to get a starting point to set up my Dies. I have found that case prep is the most important thing I do . I have a ritual that I go through.First I run the cases through a case trim die by RCBS. That tells me how many need trimmiming and it sets the shoulders and case neck in line. Then I run all cases needing to be trimmed through my Lyman case trimmer. I then proceed with preparation of the cases through the RCBS case prep machine to champher the necks inside and out and clean the primmer pockets. From there its to an Expander die by wilson that trues all the neck to a perfect size and makes them round. I follow up with redding case neck sizing dies. All thats left is to prime, put in powder and seat a bullet that barely kisses the lands. My best performance in powder charges are 2-3 grains below absolute MAX usually. I also choose the powder that has the lowest PSI at the exiting of the muzzel, so turbulance behind the bullet is as low as possible. My NECO SOFTWARE gives that info to me. I prefer to not weigh any closer than a Tenth grain on hunting loads but I do on benchrest loads. I also use the bullet with the longest bearing surface , like the Sierra Pro hunter. Works great for me and it all starts with a STONEY POINT.

Page generated in 0.05040 seconds with 8 queries