View Single Post
Old February 10, 2014, 03:41 PM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
Do you really think that the Pennsylvania legislature is going to require mandatory training for carry permits if they start getting letters from Chicago?
No. I think that the federal government will mandate a national standard for any state to issue CCLs. I think that representatives from stricter states will push for federal standards in line with what they have at home. (Remember when the federal gov't withheld road money until states raised their drinking ages to 21?) Louisiana had awful roads for years after that, because it refused to raise its drinking age, IIRC.

Let's look at just a few of the more restrictive states in the House of Representatives:
California: 53 votes
New York: 27 votes
New Jersey: 12
Total: 92

Looking at a sampling of the less restrictive states:
Texas: 36
Arizona: 9
Pennsylvania: 18
Florida: 27
Total: 90

So, that comes pretty close to (but not quite) even. It took "us" an extra state to get there, though, and we haven't even considered the Senate.

So, let's take a look at who has the most HoR votes:
California: 53
Texas: 36
New York: 27
Florida: 27
Illinois: 18
Pennsylvania: 18
Ohio: 16
Michigan: 14

Source: http://www.ehdp.com/vitalnet/reps.htm

So far, that looks pretty evenly split, but there are lots of states that have only 5-8 votes. My state has a whopping 4 Reps. Arkansas would have to find alliances with a LOT of other states to block passage of federal standards.

Page generated in 0.02278 seconds with 8 queries