View Single Post
Old June 30, 2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Sevens

Troubleshoot a K-22

In this thread:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515276
...I talked about a Model 18 no-dash that I helped work a deal for a buddy to buy.

It's a good gun, but on it's first trip to the range, it was inaccurate. And in looking at the target -- it seemed as if it was actually key-holing. So, we shot it some more. And yeah, it was definitely key-holing. He put it down and we each shot other toys for the rest of that range session. Great day for a range trip...because it was Superbowl Sunday and most of the rest of the world is in front of a TV.

He took it home & put a lot of time in to it. However, I have no idea the specifics on how he cleaned the bore, what he did to remove (what must have been?) leading in that bore. Afterall, this was a pawn shop buy and the revolver in question is a Model 18 no-dash, made in 1958. No idea what kind of a service life it had before we rescued it from the pawn shop.

Since that early February range trip, he's brought the Model 18 out each time we've shot together. He doesn't keep a log as I do, so the round count could only be an estimate. We figure some 400-500 rounds of bulk .22LR went through this revolver SINCE he cleaned it. All of it to very good effect. Very accurate, totally enjoyable.

Last trip out, last weekend? It's key-holing. Again!

Now I've got a bevy of rimfire handguns, but I only happen to own a single .22 caliber revolver, my Model 17-6. I'm sure I've passed "400-500" between cleanings (many times) but I don't know how many. I am certain that I've blown far past 500 rounds through some of my semi-auto rimfires, and I've never had a shot keyhole from any rimfire I've ever owned.

With just this little bit of info I can offer, are there any ideas or theories as to why this revolver is acting this way? I can't specifically confirm that the barrel is leading up -- but it seems logical considering it's good & accurate...but only for a while, and then it goes out the window.

Timing is very good-- if it's shaving lead or has some kind of alignment issue, it is NOT because of the cylinder timing.

If the gun were newer, I'd vote for calling Smith & Wesson, but it seems futile to call them for a 1958 gun.

It's not mine and I'm not attempting to "solve" his problem. Instead, I'm very curious about theories or ideas behind what might be the issue.

Page generated in 0.02754 seconds with 8 queries