View Single Post
Old February 22, 2013, 11:11 AM   #60
Ben Towe

Quote:
There are something like 140,000 federal law enforcement agents in the U.S. who are authorized to carry weapons and make arrests. That's a huge figure, and training all of them, and keeping them in issue ammo takes a LOT of ammo. Like maybe a couple of billion rounds every 5 years or so.
Let's also keep in mind that US ammo manufacturers are cranking out 1 billion rounds per week as of right now. At the peak of the Afghan and Iraq wars the military was expending about 55 million rounds per month so let's just say they are buying 1 billion rounds per year. A little quick math puts Federal government purchases at around 1.5 billion rounds per year. Call it 2 billion just for fun. That leaves 50 billion rounds per year for state/local LEO and civilian markets. Sounds a lot less scary now doesn't it?

As for the targets, meh... Doesn't bother me even if they do use them, I probably would use them too if they were easily available. Threats aren't walking around with a sign hung around their necks and this ain't the movies, nobody cues creepy music when bad stuff is about to go down. Take the guy who shot up the movie theater in Aurora or this Lanza fool at Newtown. If I had met either of them walking down the street I doubt my spidey sense would have been screaming that either was a mass murderer.

Page generated in 0.04323 seconds with 8 queries