View Single Post
Old March 30, 2018, 11:34 AM   #74
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
Thank you!

This is exactly where I'm at - can you see the sights, at all? You are aiming! I definitely aim a shotty. I do not aim a single action revolver.

The whole "aim or point?" question (when discussing firing that involves use of the sights) sounds like the old "Do you love me or are you IN love with me?" to which the obvious answer is "shut up an go make me a sandwich"

As far as how much time and effort I devote to "aiming" well that depends on how far away the target is and how quickly I really need to get the shot off. Last range trip, I was doing Mozambique Drills, at 5 yd. I barely allowed the top strap to come into view. As soon as I could see some dots and a strip of steel that looked somewhat in line, I was lettin 'em loose. To me, it ain't so much about how you're doing it (I know some basic fundamentals need to be followed) but rather how MUCH you're doing it. Repetition, burn copious amounts of powder
I could not disagree more. It is not how many rounds you send down range it is the quality of the rounds sent down range. Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. You are much better shooting 100 rounds and making every round count then going to the range and sending 500 rounds down range without regard for fundamentals. This is especially true the early you are in the learning curve.

It would be my contention that a lot of the most important parts about shooting a pistol well can be learned and practiced without sending any rounds down range. Your grip, stance, draw and most importantly your trigger control all can be worked on and improved without shooting a round.

Live fire is very important and needs to be done but it should IMHO be done with more than " some basic fundamentals". Make every round count.

Last edited by WVsig; March 30, 2018 at 11:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.03118 seconds with 8 queries