View Single Post
Old February 7, 2012, 10:14 PM   #24
F. Guffey

I have said many times.....

.. submerge a few tarnished cases into the glass container for a 7 days, the reaction of the case to the vinegar renders the case scrap..." In vinegar the case will turn pink/orange in a few hours, the vinegar goes after the zinc etc., etc.. and I said for a maximum of 15 minutes....and no one thought to ask WHY!

wncchester said:

I question the truth of that. No one need fear what vinegar - or Lemishine (Citric Acid) - might do to his cases. A week long vinegar soak hasn't been suggested by anyone but in my experience - a test specifically done to see what would happen - submerged soaks of several days in straight white vinegar was harmless to the cases. Diluting vinegar simply means it takes longer to get the job done, otherwise adding water has no effect.

Brass isn't porous so the acetic acid in vinegar can't permeate the metal, it can only attack the oxidized dark colored surface. And straight vinegar certainly isn't a very strong acid anyway, we all eat the stuff in many salad dressings, pickles and other common foods.

243winxb said:

Ammonia & Vinegar should not come in contact with cartridge brass. Ammonia forms in nature, rotting veggies & moisture form it. Brass becomes weak. Google > "stress corrosion cracking" & "dezincification" Annealing will not repair the damage.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.03326 seconds with 8 queries