View Single Post
Old January 20, 2019, 09:09 PM   #35
M88

The first time I ever pulled a trigger on a gun I was 6 and it was aimed at a groundhog in the field on my Grandfathers farm. It was with a Mossberg Mod 341 .22 bolt rifle. My Dad was with me, and he had earlier that day simply showed me how to hold it correctly, how to load, cock and aim that rifle, and I remember him showing me the safety and telling me it should always be ON until I'm ready to shoot. But... we didn't fire it! FWIW, I missed the groundhog and it scurried into it's hole. Would have been a cool story to tell that the first time I fired a gun I shot a groundhog. Never had a BB gun till I was in my 30's shooting bottles for fun.

As many have said, I agree there is no set age, the proper time to start a kid shooting depends GREATLY on the child's maturity and motor skills. I've met 6 year old kids that were more than ready SAFELY at that age, and I've met immature 10 year olds I wouldn't feel comfortable being around with a loaded gun even after they've been "trained". Of course THAT said... I've met plenty of people at all ages I wouldn't feel comfortable around with a loaded gun even though they legally own one. It takes a certain amount of common sense some don't have. THAT said... I'm nobodies judge and jury. JUST my personal opinion of them.

Page generated in 0.02509 seconds with 8 queries