View Single Post
Old January 25, 2020, 10:36 AM   #1
giggitygiggity

AR-15 Buy vs Build

This is not a question as to whether I should buy or build an AR15 as I have about a dozen AR15s, some of which I have put together from parts, others that I have pinned a complete upper to a lower, and others that I have bought as complete rifles. I am curious to hear everyone's point of view. I've seen some prominent people talk about how you should always buy complete rifles because putting your own together will result in unreliable rifles and issues. While I agree that there are advantages to buying complete rifles (no tools required, warranty, etc), I think there are just as many, if not more, advantages to putting your own AR together. For instance, you have the ability to select each and every part and design and put together a rifle that you want from ground up. Whether you want the cheapest rifle possible, a super fancy rifle, or something in between, you can make it happen. I tend to believe that most unreliability in builds come from poor assembly processes vice out-of-spec parts. I've had excellent reliability and accuracy with builds that I made from super inexpensive parts (total cost under $350). However, when putting them together, I ensured that I assembled the parts properly (used Aeroshell grease when installing the barrel, torqued the barrel to spec, ensured the gas block was centered over the gas hole, used Locktite on screws, etc). It is often the little things that will cause problems in ARs... didn't use Locktite on the gas block screws so they backed out and the gas block shifted on the barrel so the gas port is now blocked and gases cannot enter the gas block and gas tube. A buffer is too heavy so the bolt carrier group cannot move far enough back in order to pickup a new round from the magazine. Etc, etc. It is my belief that, in most cases, even with super cheap parts, you can build a reliable and accurate rifle so long as you maintain good technique when assembling. Just my thoughts. I'd love to hear your's.

Page generated in 0.03707 seconds with 8 queries