View Single Post
Old July 25, 2008, 12:31 PM   #13
bennadatto

I grew up on the gulf coast of Misssissippi and lived through 20 years of hurricanes before I moved away. My folks were still in MS during Katrina so I've had some experience with undersired water.

My first instinct when I know really bad weather (ie hurricane, high flood probability) is coming is to get to high ground. Take the sentimental and irreplaceable stuff with you. The rest is for insurance to sort out (be ready for an absolue nightmare). While away from home and waiting out the storm(s), get mops, strong floor detergents, breathing mask (it's not just water that was rising), tons of water, gas for the generator, non-perishable and easily prepared food, a deck or two of cards (you will have down-time and will get easily bored / frustrated), and cash at the ATM.

Keep your eyes and ears on the news so you can have as much information about your area as possible. This info will help you prepare further for your return home and will let you know when you can return home. It may also be a good idea to get some area maps. It is likely there will be road closures and you may have to figure out alternate routes to get home.

You could probably write a book (and someone probably did) about how to prepare for natural disasters. Stay as patient as possible and get involved with the community. After Katrina we went on house to house cleaning missions with all the neighbors. It's pretty amazing how quickly a team of people can work when they team up. It's also how lifelong friends are created.

Good luck and we'll keep you in our prayers!

Page generated in 0.03328 seconds with 8 queries