Thread: Alox issues
View Single Post
Old February 8, 2012, 02:24 PM   #1
kealil

Alox issues

Hello All,

Can someone tell me the best way to apply alox? I usually just put my casts into an empty ice cream container, spread some alox in there, swish it about for a little bit and let them dry on wax paper for 48 hours. When they are done, they usually have a very light film on them and usually some minor tackiness. Despite using variable amounts of alox from very little to a lot, I am still getting leading in my 9mm and occasionally in my 45(very rare).

I know my bullets are the correct size, and I'm fairly sure I'm not sending them too fast(I don't have a chrony, yet, but I'm using close to minimum loads that according to the manual should give less than 1000fps recipe will be posted at the bottom)

So I'm pretty sure that I'm down to my lubrication as far as the causes are concerned. I do not mix my alox because I honestly haven't needed to. I never really had leading from my 45 or my 38 so I never changed the process. Once I started casting for my 9mm, my leading spiked to such a level that I am now open to other options.

So here are my questions:
Is there a better way to apply alox? Should there be a considerable amount in the lube groove? If yes to the previous question. Is "painting" the lube groove full of alox a feasible option? And finally, are there any other bullet lubes that are fairly easy to apply that would be more effective for 9mm?

Thanks all and sorry for the super duper long winded post!

--------- MinOAL - Bbl ----- Primer --- Powder -- Max ----- (fps) ---- (psi)
115 FMJ -1.12 ---- 4 ------- CCI --- Red Dot -- 4.5 ----- 1,150 --- 32,600
125 FMJ -1.15 ---- 4 --------CCI --- Red Dot -- 4.6 ----- 1,145 --- 33,000
125 L --- 1.15 ---- 4 ------- CCI --- Red Dot -- 4.5 ----- 1,145 --- 32,000

I am using 3.3gns under a 124gn LRN with CCI Small Pistol Primers.

Being shot out of a Springfield XDM 9.

Page generated in 0.02614 seconds with 8 queries