View Single Post
Old April 1, 2011, 04:30 PM   #18
Bill Akins

Quote:
Shafter wrote:
The only drawback I can think of other than utterly destroying the visual beauty of the gun, would be getting the cylinder out. How would you remove the cylinder with such an adaption?
Each to their own and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If Col Colt had made his 1851's with less metal (less weight) of the barrel over the rear of the loading lever (as shown in the 2nd & 3rd drawings of Colt's 1850 patent drawing sheet) and if I then suggested we leave the weight there and NOT mill it out , no doubt some would claim I was destroying the visual beauty of the gun because they were used to looking at it milled out like that all their lives and deemed any deviation from that look to be destroying the beauty of the gun. We humans get used to something looking a certain way and viscerally resist it if it changes. I'll bet the same visual and visceral resistance existed for a while for some people when Colt left the open tops behind when the 1873 Colt peacemaker came out, only not as much because not so much time had gone by between the first Colt and the '73 peacemaker to set humans minds that the '73 peacemaker didn't look "historically normal" in their minds. From the first open topped Colt Paterson of 1836 to the top strapped 1873 peacemaker people hadn't had three generations of watching t.v. and movies to set their minds as to what looked "historically correct" to them. Lol.

Regarding how to remove the cylinder in my idea, I covered that in my first post which differs a bit from Col Colt's patent drawing....

Quote:
Bill Akins wrote:
....say someone welded a topstrap to the barrel and then milled so that the topstrap engaged the recoil shield and was locked in place like a topbreak's. Of course you couldn't tip the barrel down like a topbreak, so the rear of the topstrap's recess would have to be one that engaged the area of the recoil shield horizontally when the barrel slid on and then a recoil shield area stirrup pivoted over the topstrap to hold it securely. To take the barrel off, you'd just remove the wedge as normal, then pivot the spring loaded stirrup out of the way to slide the barrel off. Similar to a Webley or Iver Johnson stirrup etc....only without the barrel tipping down.
"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; April 1, 2011 at 04:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.02578 seconds with 8 queries