View Single Post
Old January 19, 2010, 10:44 AM   #21
skidmark

Location: Richmond VA - home of a street full of second-place trophies.
Why do "they" need a group of officers is where the question ought to begin.

Until and unless the person initiates anything it needs only one officer to assess and gather intelligence and relay that to others off-scene who can advise him of possible next steps.

However, there seems to be amongst both the police and a fair portion of the population a belief that the cops are there to assert authority and to force compliance with demands whether or not those demands have any possible chance of resolving anything except the assertion of police authority. This is not a cop bash but a complaint about the misunderstanding of the role of police in dealing with the mentally disturbed individual.

But to get back to the OP's question of what the armed or unarmed citizen ought to do -- I really do wonder why so many folks are stepping up to say they would insert themselves in a situation they have already recognized as being risky if not outright dangerous. I thought that the first rule of a gunfight was to avoid attending one if at all possible. Everybody talks about situational awareness and then a whole bunch of folks seem to throw it away. Could anyone explain that to me?

stay safe.

skidmark

Page generated in 0.02823 seconds with 8 queries