View Single Post
Old April 6, 1999, 04:23 PM   #7
thaddeus

I tried one of these drills in the desert. I turned my back to the hill at about 15 yards. Had my friend line up cans at random heights on the hill and all over the side within a 90 degree arc (three cans about 7 yards apart each at different heights). Then he named the order of fire, what colors to shoot first (such as: hit the middle green Mt Dew can first, then the Dr. Pepper, then the Diet Pepsi).
It was pretty tough. I had to turn around, aquire and fire on a clock.
On my first try at 15 yards I missed most of the cans just high about one or two inches under "rapid" fire. I usually tag them consistently, so that was pretty bad, but I guess that if it were a BG, I would have hit just high of whatever I was aiming at (his heart?).
Anyway, it was a good drill, and definitly made me shoot worse. The toughest part was picking out the color of the can under a timer. Actually, since I had no idea where he placed the cans, just seing them at first was a challenge under stress (fighting "tunnel vision" etc).

Thanks for the above drills, now I have some good ideas.

Question: is there any harm in shooting at cans some of the time and sillouettes at other times? I mean, I know that shooting cans is a "plinking" thing to do and the minute you mention it people think you are a beginner, but is there any harm in making it into good training? Am I learning any bad habits? It is certainly cheap, easy and fun! It is very difficult to drag a target stand, (let alone three of them), out to the desert. I shoot about half the time in the desert, half at the range.

thanks,
thaddeus

Page generated in 0.02655 seconds with 8 queries