View Single Post
Old December 17, 2019, 03:38 AM   #11
HiBC

I've used a 257 AI on deer/pronghorn size animals for many years. I've never taken an elk with one.
I have a lot of confidence in that rifle,but if I had to hunt elk with it,I'd do it at maybe 200 yds or less.I'd want to be able to do surgery with it.

To the OP's question,I don't think I'd recommend a .25

Sure,plenty of other cartridges overlap,but the cartridges that come to mind are the .270 and 30-06.

Of the two,the .270 will be milder to shoot.

UPDATE : While I support having a cartridge adequate for 400 yds,Wyosmith is right.
Shot placement with a proper bullet are key factors.
The shooter and conditions must be able to place the shot for the cartridge to be effective.
I don't know the OP's capabilities....but that's not the question I'm answering.
I'll agree,for most folks,myself included,the business of shooting elk is best done at closer ranges than 400 yds. In support of the OP's idea,there is nothing wrong with the < 300 yd hunter who has the reserve of a 400 yd cartridge. That's good thinking.IMO.

Of course there are other good cartridge choices,but,IMO, a 270 is a good compromise for being relatively mild to shoot ,which contributes to the shooter shooting well. It offers a very good trajectory, and will make adequate rrauma.

Last edited by HiBC; December 18, 2019 at 01:11 AM.

Page generated in 0.03341 seconds with 8 queries