View Single Post
Old April 12, 2013, 07:47 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Has anyone compared these guns head to head in a test of accuracy?

Is there any noticeable difference in the convertible SS model compared to the dedicated one cylinder model?

I have owned many different MKs over the years, beginning with the Standard. I have a couple of 22/45s that are one hole machines; one scoped MKIII Hunter, and one MKII Target.

I am considering picking up a SS. Just wondering how it would measure up against its semi-auto cousins in the accuracy department.

And is there any reason to consider the older three screw models over the current production?

Any input regarding comparing the accuracy between these two animals would be appreciated.

Now, go figure...
First off, I need to point out that my reply is based on an "average" production gun vs. another "average" production gun so that we are talking apples to apples so to speak. I've owned several Ruger Single Six's and three Ruger target auto's. A revolver will not shoot as well as an auto simply due to the fact that you are shooting bullets out of six different chambers. In an auto, every bullet enters one chamber and there is no gap to jump. Are there exceptions? Yes. I once owned a Ruger Single Six Convertible that I was using for Silhouette shooting that didn't shoot all that well. Two of the chambers shot to a different point of impact. I sent it back to Ruger and they returned it with a different cylinder for 22lr. I used that gun at the Internationals to shoot a 77x80 with. I also won several state and regional shoots with that revolver. Contrary to what you will hear about the difference in bore diameter, etc., both cylinders shot very well out of that gun. Some ammo runs larger and some runs smaller and the spec on both the ammo and bore will overlap. To answer your question though, in all probability the revolver will not out perform your auto. It's probably about 1000 to 1 that it will shoot as well.

Page generated in 0.02600 seconds with 8 queries