View Single Post
Old May 29, 2013, 04:13 PM   #2
YunGun

Quote:
only pushed them up enough in the sizer to index it
I strongly suspect that's your issue right there; most likely you only partially-sized the brass and the 'web' of the case is still too wide to enter the chamber freely. Try measuring the case diameter with a pair of calipers or micrometer & compare to the factory round to be sure.

Quote:
Is it possible to run the completed rounds thru the sizer again
Most likely not if you've already seated the bullet. (For straight-walled/rimless cases I've read that the Lee "Bulge Buster" kit can be used like that, but I don't believe there is any such tool for the .38 as it's rimmed)

Quote:
Or did the bullets expand the shell
Possible; you'd have to measure the case diameter prior to seating the bullet, & again after seating, & compare the two values to really know for sure if that's the case.

Quote:
is it possible to fire them as is?
Probably, although I'd be leery of doing so if the fit is too tight.

Ultimately the question is always: Is a few hours of time spent pulling down & re-doing these bullets more important than the potential physical damage to your firearm, yourself & anyone who happens to be near you at the range if the worst case scenario does happen?

I'd probably try shooting a round or two (assuming you can chamber them without too much difficulty) & re-assess after that; most likely any that you can chamber will shoot OK, but I'd set aside & pull down any that won't chamber without forcing them. Chances are they'll be fine & you just need to take more care with sizing fully next time.

[EDIT] On a side note, this could also be a lesson in testing proper case/bullet fit in your firearm BEFORE loading up a bunch... It doesn't take many instances of pulling 100+ rounds to make you truly appreciate that!

Page generated in 0.02482 seconds with 8 queries