Thread: Carry at Work
View Single Post
Old November 3, 2013, 12:04 PM   #163
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I made a very salient point that on private property, the property owner has ultimate moral and liability responsibility for his guests.
I don't see this as a major point of contention. Likewise, I don't see anyone claiming that stupid, foolish, clumsy, inattentive, un or under trained, (choose which ever you like best) are not dangerous walking around with loaded guns. Trained people have accidents, too.

Also a few minutes reading on the Internet will show you lots of people who probably ought not to be trusted with guns, knives, matches, automobiles, or any other thing where incorrect use might result in injury.

The devil is in the details, and how we go about them.

And let us also remember that "one size fits all" fits almost no one perfectly, and zero tolerance policies are actually prejudice.

There are places where customers could legally CCW, but employees cannot. OK, I get it, management is all about risk/cost. SO many take an absolute no guns policy. Its the easy way out, for them. It also shows a concrete lack of trust, but only about guns, and their employees.

With some employees, its justified. But not with all, I think. I'm fine with management telling the kid who can't even make change without the cash register computer telling them how much to give me back, that they can't have a gun on company premises.

I'm not ok with an employer just making blanket policy in this regard. They can, and do, and have the legal right to do so. I'm just not ok with it.

Many places have some kind of proficiency requirement for a concealed carry license. Why is it that so many employers automatically accept your state license to drive (including commercial licenses) and yet will not think of accepting a state license approving you for CCW?

Why is it that people who may be operating millions of dollars of complex machinery, with the safety of possibly hundreds of people in their hands for hours at a time as instantly assumed to be drooling Neanderthals who will run amok at the slightest frustration when the machinery is a gun? (yes, this is aimed at armed pilots, but also applies to many other jobs)

Also, the "no gun at work" rule prevents non-carry possession as well. Not cool with employees wearing a gun at work? OK, your house, your rules, but, what about the people who don't feel the need to carry, but want to have something available? They make these neat little lockboxes now days....

One place I worked, had, at one time, a "drop box" type set up. There was no carry or possession allowed on site, but carry to and from work was legal, so they provide a storage you could check your gun in, and pick it up on your way home. Always seem like a good idea to me, especially when your other options were either leave it home, or leave it in your car while at work.

There are lots of ways this issue could be handled. To me, a flat no guns at all, ever, for everyone rule is just cheaping out.

Page generated in 0.03639 seconds with 8 queries