View Single Post
Old July 19, 2013, 12:25 PM   #16
Gunplummer

I don't know, bullets can be weird. I remember shooting a groundhog that was foolish enough to come out at the 100 yard line on the range. I was using a 6.5 Swedish with 160 gr Speer bullets. It actually tore it in half. Only about an inch of skin holding it together. On frontal chest shots on deer they penetrate and stay together pretty good. You get the same effect with jugs of water, but I have never been able to find a bullet afterwards to see what is going on. I have had the same thing happen with other calibers. My .300 Savage comes to mind. I hit one a little far back (Did not even clip a rib) and it really made a mess in there. I suspect that bullet opened as soon as it was through the skin. On the other hand, if you hit something solid the bullet usually stays together pretty well and you find it in the deer. That REALLY makes no sense. I was swinging on a running deer and shot a 6"-8" maple tree about 30 feet in front of me. The bullet (7x57 140gr) went through, although the hole coming out was roughly 2" and pretty ragged. I can only think that you rarely have it both ways with bullets.

Page generated in 0.04277 seconds with 8 queries