View Single Post
Old September 23, 2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Quote:
I'm just getting ready to buy my 1st two hand guns any suggestions? I want to use for target shooting, home defense, and hiking in the woods.
Quote:
A Colt 45 1911 and a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag worked for me.

Kind of doubt that that is a good starting point for a brand new shooter!!!

Your choice of firearms is a very personal thing. You really need to try numerious types, and calibers to make a good decision. As mentioned, some training is the first, and most important step. then lots of practice.
As you mentioned, you want to buy two handguns so my advise, after you get some training and do a little comparison with rental guns at a range, would be pick a good 22 rimfire. Something like a Ruger MK series, or Browning Buckmark. That will allow you to do a lot of practicing, and learning with ammunition that isn't so high priced. Besides, 22's are a lot of fun to shoot.
If you just must have a centerfire, either a 9MM semi-auto or 357 Mag/38 special revolver would be a great start for a beginner. The 357 Magnum has the advantage of being able to shoot cheaper 38 Special ammunition for practice, and the more powerful 357 Magnium for HD/SD.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Page generated in 0.03845 seconds with 8 queries