View Single Post
Old July 14, 2019, 03:54 PM   #72
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
So related to do this I'd like to ask you Bart--do you believe there is some kind of "auto-rotational stabilization" that happens with certain bullets that causes them to print tighter at 300 yds or so than at 100? I've heard top shooters weigh in on both sides of the argument and it's something I've always tried to understand. My personal opinion is that lacking control surfaces I don't see how that's possible.
Yes, that can happen. But not because of bullet spinning. Was first documented over a century ago by the British on their SMLE 303's accuracy at long range.

When all bullets leave on the bore axis upswing, slower ones depart on higher angles than faster ones because their barrel time is longer than faster ones. Their trajectories cross at some point down range. Slower bullets will be higher above the LOS than faster ones at about 5/8ths of the range where they cross. Then lower past the crossing point at target range

This is called positive compensation. Adjustable weights are sometimes put on barrels at their muzzle to adjust the bore axis vibration frequency tuning it for what is best for a given load at target range.

Last edited by Bart B.; July 14, 2019 at 04:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.04647 seconds with 8 queries