View Single Post
Old August 20, 2013, 08:07 AM   #20
Wyosmith

It's best to build yourself so you can get the exact rifle you want at a reasonable price. It's not much cheaper than buying, but I have found that when you buy you often have to settle for what is offered, and not get exactly what you want.

I for one, like to have places to fount a down grip on a free float tube and I also want a light mount. But I detest quad rails. Way too much stuff out front that has no use at all for me, cost more money and makes a larger forend which helps nothing.

I use Rock River triggers as a rule and I stone them to a super nice pull.

I use heavy buffers and Tubb flat wire buffer springs.

I have grown found of Green Mountain barrels which I can make from stainless or carbon steel in 1-7”, 1-8” 1-9” or 1-12” twists depending on customers wishes. I also do them in 1-11” .277” bore to make 6.8 SPC rifles, and I have a few 6.5 Grendels and 300 blackouts under my belt too.

I use CMT uppers and Lowers.

In building you can have any grip, and stock and you can install LH friendly controls so you don’t have to “up-grade” later (which means buying the parts twice.)

You may need to have a gunsmith install your barrel for you if you don’t have the tools, but other than that you can build your own AR on your kitchen table if you buy the book on building one first. A small vice on a work bench is helpful but not necessary. I have done 2 ARs for my friends daughters on their kitchen table in Reno, just to show them how it’s done and to show them all that it’s nothing to be intimidated by.

If you buy a barrel finished (as most folks do) any good gunsmith can install it for you on a stripped upper in about 5-10 minutes. I do this for men and women around here for $20. I don’t think it should cost much more in St Augustine.

If you build yourself you can have any caliber that fits on an AR-15 lower, any barrel length you’d like, Stainless or blue, in any twist you’d prefer. You can have any stock, and grip, left hand friendly, any sights, any optic and mount, any trigger, and forend and so on.

A “high end build” will cost some. It’s easy to spend $1400 on building a top of the line AR, but if you were to build one in the M-4ish style with only the basics you’d cut that price nearly in half

I like to build because I don’t have to compromise on what I (and my customers) want. They get exactly what they want and pay for nothing more.

Page generated in 0.03699 seconds with 8 queries