View Single Post
Old November 10, 2013, 08:22 PM   #32
Nickel Plated

I would say definitely give the Winchester SXP some consideration. I own the field model (28" ribbed barrel, 4+1 capacity. The Defender has 5+1 capacity with 18" barrel) and it's an awesome shotgun. I've handled and shot 870s and 500s. Not much but a bit. And I can honestly say the Winchester shoots, looks, and feels better than either. Best pump gun in the $300ish price range IMO.

Don't let the "Made in Turkey" stamp worry you. I guess if you MUST have a U.S. made shotgun, then nothing can be done about that. Me, sure I'd prefer to have "Made in the USA" stamped on the barrel, but a good shotgun is a good shotgun regardless where it comes from.

IDK about the extracting issues you heard. My guess is either they were using cheapo bottom of the barrel ammo or they got a lemon gun. It happens, heck, Remington has had their fair share of failures to extract. Mine however has gone through about 500 rounds of Winchester SuperX target loads and Federal target loads. Both cycled just fine. Also Winchesters are reported as being the few shotguns who will cycle the 1 3/4" mini shells reliably.
The Winchester is nothing new. it has plenty of time under it's belt with the 1200 and 1300. The SXP is simply an improvement and evolution of that design.

I hear plenty of stories of guys going to the shop thinking "I'll handle the 500 and 870 and decide which I like" then notice that SXP on the shelf and think "What the hell, might as well see how this feels". Guess what they end up leaving the store with?

Anyway, I love my Winnie and will be getting a second one soon. it's just too much fun emptying the mag with that speed pump.

Page generated in 0.02762 seconds with 8 queries