View Single Post
Old June 1, 2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Ike666

COAL - is it me or the chamber

I wanted to improve my loads for my CZ 527 in .223. I really haven't been happy with its accuracy, it groups at about 2 MOA at 100, with a best ever of 1.25. I tried good factory ammo and juked around with my handloads. Today I got the special case for my Hornady LNL and immediately tried it out.

I started with a Hornady 40 gr V-Max. Seated the casing firmly in the chamber and began a very slow gentle push, waiting for the slightest resistance. Nothing. Kept pushing. Pushed until the gray rod disappeared in the red handle. No resistance. Pulled it out and sure enough the rod was a good three inches past the case mouth. Picked up the rifle and the bullet fell out on its own. No bump. No rod - just gravity.

Tried it again with 52 gr V-Max, thinking it was a little longer. Same deal, pushed way beyond any reasonable contact with the lands. Same deal, gravity let it fall out.

Checked both bullets on the muzzle end and neither would fit - too tight (expected).

Does this mean that the throat of this barrel is the Holland Tunnel for the first few inches? This is a brand new rifle, I'm the only one that's ever fired it and it has less than 300 rounds down the pipe. I haven't slugged it. Is that the next step or do I have enough information to get on the horn with CZ?

Page generated in 0.02560 seconds with 8 queries