View Single Post
Old November 2, 2011, 04:40 AM   #40
Departed402

Well this thread is over a week old, and if the OP hasn't gone hunting by now, he should've had plenty of time to sight in his .270.

That said, my input would be to go ahead and use the .30 Carbine if it's legal in your state. I understand you will only be hunting for 2 days, and the heat is on. However, try to avoid long shots with iron sights. I can get good groups with my M1 Carbine at 50 yards, but at 100 yards I wouldn't trust myself to make a clean shot on a deer with iron sights, nor do I suggest anyone else try it for the sake of good sport and risk of maiming the deer (especially with .30 carbine). I'm sure there are people on this forum who think I'm wrong about this, and they've killed plenty of deer at long ranges with iron sights. Yes, I've seen people do it successfully, but I've seen many deer and antelope suffer because of poor shots taken at long ranges with iron sights.

I think the .30 Carbine will work for deer, but I would advise that you wait for a close shot, and be sure you're hitting the vitals.

Page generated in 0.03168 seconds with 8 queries