View Single Post
Old May 1, 2011, 12:48 PM   #4151
Dave Anderson

'We have a 6" barrel that is not blued 28-2 Highway Patrolman - the difference from it and all the photos I've found online is that it appears to have been chrome plated, and where the chrome is chipping off the cylinder from wear it is steel (not blued) even when the gun is completed dismantled it is steel. It has what I call a dead man symbol on the barrel next to the 357 CTG all the photos online I see have 4 dots (one on each side of the symbol) ours is different however, also my ampersand on the S&W is very ornate not the typical & symbol. Our Serial Number is S285XXX - anyone have any clue on why my gun is different from the hundreds I've seen online? My husband has taken it apart to check it and he states it has been very well taken care of. It also has a second number under the grip stamped in the steel 73140. I think we are still going to send a letter to Mr. Jinks, just wanted to know what you guys thought?"

I don't have exact serial number records, but s/n S227149 was made late 1961, and the last S-prefix N-frame revolver was S333454 made in 1969. This would suggest your revolver was made in the mid-1960s.

It may have had the plating done by a previous owner. However it may also be one of the relatively rare model 28s with factory brushed nickel finish. These are very unusual and considerably more valuable to S&W collectors (as in three times as valuable) as a blued model in the same condition. Fakes have been known, so you are wise to write Roy Jinks for more information.

Page generated in 0.02487 seconds with 8 queries