View Single Post
Old August 16, 2009, 08:37 AM   #142
MLeake

Are you serious?

OntheJon55, on why his comparison of potentially killing somebody over a possibly stolen duffel bag was akin to failing to assist a choking victim made sense to him:
Quote:
How? either way if you mess up theres a chance you could be sued for everything you own which is almost the equivalent to going to prison.
Sure, a homicide charge with potential life imprisonment is similar to a lawsuit that would be very hard to file (Good Samaritan laws generally protect you from lawsuit if you try to help, they don't provide grounds for a suit against you except in very limited circumstances). Look up the Good Samaritan laws in your state, and try to find any case history of uninvolved third parties being successfully sued for failure to render assistance to unknown parties.

Not only that, but an awful lot of people who would not shoot a stranger over a duffel bag, would assist choking or accident victims without a second thought.

OntheJon55 also said:
Quote:
I give my own opinion. I dnt pretend to be a legal expert or cast doubt on everything anyone says.
I think you'll see that most of us, if not all of us, who have talked about laws have not claimed to be legal experts. What we have all said is you should 1) look up the laws and case history in your area; and 2) possibly consult an attorney, because some of those laws can be hard to interpret.

If you don't want to understand the laws of your state, and if you really think that being charged with homicide is anything like a civil suit, you really should stop carrying that .22 of yours. With your attitude, you are a walking liability to yourself and others.

Page generated in 0.03420 seconds with 8 queries