View Single Post
Old December 4, 2012, 08:36 PM   #14
PH/CIB

I never ever had to clear a tunnel, Thank God! We found a few base camps in the mountains of the Highlands and searched quite few villages in the flatlands and rice paddies,,,but I was usually assigned OP, Observation Post, as you almost always set up a defensive perimeter whenever you stopped..and when not on OP we either did not find any tunnels or I was not ordered or assigned to that duty.

The Officers and some of the NCO's and the Grenadier, guy who carried the M-79 grenade launcher carried the old warhorse 1911's and that must have been what the guys who searched the very few tunnels that we found used....Allthough I saw other handguns in other units,,,in our company I only recall the 1911.

The Grenadier had to have one the M-79 Grenade launcher was a single shot and the round did not arm itself until out about 15 yards although being shot with a 40mm round that did not explode would still ruin your day...They also had an insert for the M-79 grenade launcher that would fire 12 guage slugs or buckshot but that was single shot also thus the need for the 1911.

I really enjoyed lamarw's post on the D7 Caterpillar Dozer method,,,now that is the way to take care of things!!!
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net

Page generated in 0.03459 seconds with 8 queries