View Single Post
Old August 9, 2018, 10:15 AM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

I couldn't find anything on Goldenrod, either. The only thing I've ever seen on it was a brief mention I came across in either a book or back copy of American Rifleman when I was on staff there in the early 1990s.

But, that is very interesting that you mention that ammonium picrate is yellow. That would make a lot of sense. I seem to recall that it was a shot shell powder that was responsible for dying people yellow.

My guess is that the military didn't mention the yellow staining because the higher pressure of the .30-40 ammo pushed the powder residue farther away from the shooter, while the lower pressure/larger bore of a shot shell didn't disburse it as well.

I'm not familiar with Henry Stebbins, but I would guess that he found those shells after World War II.

The .45 Colt was popular enough that it was brought back after WW II production, so it likely would have been made on the new equipment that was set up for manufacturing solid head cases.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.04324 seconds with 8 queries