View Single Post
Old August 9, 2018, 06:09 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Which cartridge(s)? I wonder if it was limited to cartridges that were no longer very popular, so they didn't bother to update to solid head, but, at the same time, if you were making solid head .44 Special and .44 Magnum, for example, why wouldn't you use the same tooling for .44 Russian?"

That seems to be the case, yes.

As far as I know, many of the older black powder cartridges were semi-balloon head until they were dropped from production during the Depression or for World War II.

I think in a lot of cases production of these older, less popular cartridges was simply moved over to older machines that were still serviceable, but which couldn't handle the volumes required for popular rounds like .38 Special or .44 Magnum.

When many of these cartridges were finally dropped for WWII production the older machinery was scrapped and replaced with more modern machinery that could handle the production levels required.

Essentially, WW II not only forced modernization on the ammunition industry, it made it possible.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.04371 seconds with 8 queries