View Single Post
Old January 26, 2009, 08:44 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Question About FIE

Dear experts,

Just bought an FIE imported 1851 Navy in .44 cal at a gun show. Gave a hundred bucks for it plus a pound of powder, a tin of caps, a box of Hornady round balls, a Deeelux powder measure, a bag of wads and a holster. The pistol is excellent but needs a cylinder stop (which is on the way from DGW for 7.50).

I understand that the revolvers that FIE imported were manufactured in Italy but I don't know their specific origin (company?).

I also read that their quality was not great. I believe this pistol has about fifty rounds through it and that seems a little early for the cylinder stop to fail. (Seems like a metalurgy problem. The paw which engages the hammer, lowering the cylinder stop at half cock, is worn round. It fails to catch the hammer and consequently the cylinder can not be spun at half cock. The engaging pin on the hammer looks okay.)

Apart from the cylinder stop, the action is tight and inspires confidence. The finish is very good. (Brass receiver shined up like ruby in a goat's a_ _). I pulled the pistol apart and it seems never to have been lubricated (which may explain the early failure of the cylinder stop.)

I am pretty happy with the purchase considering all of the stuff that came with the pistol but I do have the two curiosities mentioned above:

Where was the piece made and by who?

Can anyone speak for the relative quality of the piece?

Just as point of interest I will report on the extent to which the cylinder stop is interchangeable with the original.

Tnx,

Doc

Page generated in 0.02533 seconds with 8 queries