View Single Post
Old December 7, 2016, 07:57 AM   #14
45 Dragoon

DJ,
As part of my service, I always install an action stop and this is why. Even with "normal" use, the action is halted by the action locking up at the end of the cycle which means the hammer can't rotate any further because it's trying to force the hand to turn a locked cylinder. This puts added stress/wear on action parts and eventually will spread the clearances and tollerances of the parts. This will eventually lead to parts replacement because of wear or breakage.
The action stop halts the action when the full cock notch is reached. This means that no additional pressure is placed on the hand and thus the cyl. ratchet and bolt. Since the full sequence of events is final at full cock (or should be if all is correct), there is no need for further movement of the hammer.

The bolt block allows the action of the bolt to be more precise and removes unwanted side movement of the bolt. It allows a more secure lockup of the cylinder as well as correcting any out of spec bolt window width problems. You can actually hear and feel the difference a bolt block makes when cycling an action "aggressively". Another benefit of a bolt block is less wear of the locking notches. Since the bolt can't deflect sideways and allow throw-by, it will maintain lockup and not deform the lock notches.

These two add on parts have so many benefits, I think it's crazy not to install them. I was "enlightened" about these additions from my many conversations with Mr. Jim Martin . Jim learned about them, as a young man, when setting up fast draw guns in the 1950's/60s as the craze swept across the nation. He also coached "gun handling" to some of the stars you would know for movies and shows.

As a matter of fact, Colts design for the Mod. P included an action stop , as talked about and illustrated in the Jerry Kuhnhausen book "The Colt S.A. Revolvers A Shop Manual Vols.1&2", (pg. 193). Even the engineers back then saw the benefit of an action stop and I happen to agree.

These additions definitely add life to the actions of the S.A. and especially the open top revolvers and Remies with their single fingered hands. They are a must for setting up revolvers as fanners also.

I go one step further and add what I call a " Munden step" which allows the bolt to enter the lock notch earlier than normal. Mr. Munden had these other "add ons" as well.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Last edited by 45 Dragoon; December 7, 2016 at 08:30 AM.

Page generated in 0.02736 seconds with 8 queries