View Single Post
Old April 16, 2018, 08:53 PM   #54
3Crows

Just an update, I suppose I had never appreciated a forward mounted scope and had never given them a chance. But, I picked up a forward mounted scope at Cabela's, a Vortex 2X7 Crossfire II. I mounted it on my Savage Model 11 "Scout" and removed the Nikon 3X9 I had mounted rearwards. I was immediately taken by how quickly I could acquire a target with both eyes open which I find difficult with a standard mounted scope at anything much over 1X. But even at 5X I can see decently with both eyes, even if crossed a little. I used Warne QR mounts in medium which set the new optic nicely low on the rail.

So I guess my Savage .308 multi-purpose rifle now wears a forward mounted optic. And this impressed me enough that I ordered a Burris 2.75X "Scout" forward mount optic for my Marlin 45-70 SBL. The SBL has a Nikon 1X4 African mounted on medium Warne QR mounts conventionally and while it has never whacked me, with full on Buffalo Bore or HSM Bear Loads it has come close. So, I will see how the Burris does on the Marlin, should get here this week. To be clear, on the Nikon African, love that scope. It has around 4 inches of ER. It is meant for heavy hitters. I am not really worried especially about getting hit by it with normal 45-70 rounds sufficient to knock a buffalo on it's arse. But with dino-elephant loads I find it needed to rather tightly hang on to the SBL and use due caution, 430 grain hard casts at 2000 fps in a Marlin can come back at you .

Last edited by 3Crows; April 16, 2018 at 09:03 PM.

Page generated in 0.02521 seconds with 8 queries