View Single Post
Old April 9, 2018, 10:22 PM   #95
FrankenMauser

3Crows, the post you're quoting is a year and a half old. Keep that in mind.

I also own Marlins spanning almost 100 years worth of production, including REPs and a few hybrids (JMs with various REP parts and/or barrels).
Some are good. Some are crap.
For a time, nearly ALL Remlins were crap.

And the heat treating issues are not a fantasy, a myth, or born from quality rants on the MO forums. They were documented in many places, and admitted to by Marlin management over the last couple years. Notable heat-treating failures included breech bolts, locking bolts, finger levers, and pins and screws. In some cases, heat treating was missed. But, in general, it was inadequate or improper heat treating (causing brittleness, or going the other way and returning the part to an annealed state).

As for your lever and locking bolt, I have but one thought stuck in my head while looking at that photo: "Why did they put an 1895 lever in a .30-30?..."

(The answer is: to save a few bucks while making operation only 'slightly' rougher. [The .45-70 rim cut allows smaller cartridges to rattle around more, and can cause a bit of a "hitchy" or "janky" feeling to cycling the action, as the smaller cartridge catches on lips and burrs in the action that it would normally be guided around. ...But it does get the job done.])

Page generated in 0.04736 seconds with 8 queries