View Single Post
Old January 8, 2019, 01:31 AM   #4
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Another possibility is a light hand spring.

I have a Colt I bought used and when I first got it I could get the cylinder to throw by anytime I tried. The hand actually exerts a little bit of braking pressure against the ratchet teeth. It the hand spring is too light, the cylinder can throw by (rotate too far) under the right circumstances.

If I started to cock the hammer briskly, but hesitated half way through, the cylinder would rotate too far. Then when I completed cocking the hammer the bolt would pop up, but the cylinder had already rotated slightly too far so the bolt would not be able to pop up into the locking slot on the cylinder.

Bending the hand spring slightly to increase the pressure it put on the cylinder ratchet teeth solved the problem.

You may hear of guys who like their revolvers tuned so fine that you barely hear the ratchet clicking at all when the hand pops from tooth to tooth. I like the ratchet to sing nice and loud if I set the hammer to half cock and spin the cylinder.

No, spinning it like this a few times will not wear anything out, contrary to what you might hear.

Page generated in 0.03870 seconds with 8 queries